New Zealand Work, Live, Play - American Hospitality Academy

New Zealand Working holiday visa requirements

New Zealand Holiday / August 27, 2016

whscheme uk

The application form and medical check for a 23-month working holiday visa.

Understandably, you want to stay in New Zealand longer. Our guide will cover the following items to help you extend your working holiday visa.

  • The conditions for the 23-month working holiday visa.
  • How to complete the application form.
  • How to get the medical certificates.
  • Where to send the application.

The conditions on Extending your working holiday visa.

A UK citizen, between 18-30 years old, can extend their 12-month visa to 23 months, while they are in New Zealand. In this case, applications must be manually filled out and sent or handed into an Immigration NZ branch with the relevant medical certificates. There are a few conditions of the 23-month working holiday visa:

  • Even on a 23-month visa, you cannot work more than 12 months in total.
  • You cannot take up permanent employment (this requires a work visa, which you can still apply for in NZ).
  • You can enrol in courses/training/study for no more than 6 months.
  • Your 12-month working holiday visa must still be valid when applying for the extension.

Note: A UK citizen can apply for a 23-month working holiday visa before they enter New Zealand. This application must be filled out online using the Immigration NZ website. For more information on applying for a working holiday visa online, visit: How to Get a Working Holiday Visa.

Complete the INZ 1223 form

What you will need for this application:

  • 2 passport photos taken in the last 6 months. The size must be 4.5cm high and 3.5cm wide. You can get these taken in a pharmacy usually costing around NZ$20 for 8 photos.
  • Your passport.
  • Some form of payment. Either bank cheque, personal cheque, credit card (Mastercard or Visa), or UK SWITCH card. Or you can pay in person with EFTPOS at an Immigration NZ branch.
  • The General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007) and Chest X-Ray Certificate (INZ 1096). Or a note from the medical centre outlining that the evidence has been sent online.
  • Evidence of an up-to-date bank statement showing you have sufficient funds for your stay in the country. This is $350 per month that you plan to stay. Plus, evidence of a return travel ticket or sufficient funds to purchase a travel ticket.
  • A pen!