Lord of the Rings Hotel New Zealand
Lord of the Rings Hobbit Accommodation NZ
Welcome to Wanaka New Zealand - Centre of Middle Earth. We offer the total Lord of the Rings experience for Tolkien fans, staying in our unique themed room "Barlimans".
Become a Hobbit and experience "Barlimans" with its oversized furniture and our special "hobbit menu". Then experience New Zealand's most comprehensive Lord of the Rings Tour featuring 20 film locations in the one day.
For a comprehensive South Island LOTR tour, we offer the .
Package 1 - Centre of Middle Earth
Day 1 Arrive Wanaka
- Arrive Wanaka by car or transfers available from Wanaka or Queenstown Airport.
- Check in to the Lodge's special themed room – ‘Barlimans.’
- Enjoy the ambience of the lodge and its Party tree.
- Dinner is at your leisure at one of the many eateries in the town.
Day 2 Wanaka
- Early breakfast in your room.
- Second breakfast in the lodge.
- Experience the braided and ever-changing Matukituki River. Fed by glaciers and surrounded by the peaks of Mount Aspiring national Park, the Matukituki river is one of New Zealand's most powerful and pristine jet boating rivers.
Wanaka River Journeys travel this fast flowing river through Lord of the Rings Hobbit locations, watched over by Avalanche Glacier and Tititea (Mount Aspiring). Along the way, your guide will share with you stories of the past, of how these ancient lands were carved by ice and of the first people to come here.
Depart from the lodge by shuttle and embark on the first leg of your trip, a 20 minute drive around the shores of Lake Wanaka to the Matukituki River.
The jet boat base is beneath the West Wanaka Bridge at the entrance to a spectacular gorge. Here you will meet your guide and board the jet boat for a safety briefing before beginning your River Journey. First you will head downstream to Lake Wanaka for spectacular views including Mou Tapu Island before re-entering the Matukituki River to jet boat upstream toward Mount Aspiring National Park, part of Te Wahipounamu, Southwest New Zealand World Heritage Area.
Shallow water jet boating at its best, your highly skilled driver will enable you to experience the exhilaration of speed in just centimeters of water and spinning turns in deep pools. During several photo stops you will learn of the early pioneers and hear stories of the natural forces that created this amazing landscape.
At the top of the River disembark the jet boat for a 40 min wilderness walk through native forest alongside a mountain stream to a waterfall.
- Afternoon at leisure . We suggest a visit to Puzzling World, visit their illusion room - feel the size of a hobbit! You could also visit the Fighter Pilots Museum whose curator is Ian Brodie who wrote the Lord of the Rings Location guide books.
Day 3 Wanaka - Trails of Middle Earth - Queenstown
Drive over the spectacular Crown Range Pass through Cardrona and down into the Gibbston Valley, an area famous for its Pinot Noir. Continue via Lake Hayes to Queenstown. During the day we will whisk you away for a total Middle-earth experience.
As one of the first LOTR companies in New Zealand, we have amassed a wonderful selection of locations, site and scenes to bring the fantasy movies to life. No other tour can offer you what you will find on this tour.
You will explore Ithilien, Gladden Fields, Ford of Bruinen and the Pillars of the King(Argonath)
With in depth knowledge and information of each location your entertaining and knowledgeable guide will help you uncover the secrets behind how each area was transformed into Middle Earth